Onions have anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, antioxidant, and anti carcinogenic qualities.
Their flavonoids and sulfur compounds make them beneficial for the heart, cholesterol levels, diabetes, arthritis, and generally as an antioxidant.
Healing Power of Onions. Health and Beauty Benefits of Raw Onion
Onion for Ear Infection
1. Slice an onion in half and scoop out the inner layers until only the last 2-3 rings remain.
2. Heat the onion in the oven for about 15 minutes at 300 degrees until it is warm and slightly steaming.
3. Wrap the onion in a towel and cup it over the infected ear. Repeat as often as necessary to soothe pain (1).
Promote Hair Growth
1. Extract the juice of 1 onion. Add 1 teaspoon of honey. Optionally, add a few drops of an essential oil, such as lavender oil.
2. Massage this mixture into your scalp.
3. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on overnight or at least for 1 hour.
4. Rinse your hair the next morning, then shampoo as usual (2).
Follow this hair treatment 2 or 3 times a week for a few months or until you are satisfied with the results.
Onions have antiseptic properties that can help prevent your skin from becoming infected and promote quick healing.
A freshly cut onion when topically applied on to a burn wound helps alleviate the sting almost immediately, offering you instant relief from the burning pain (3).
Do this three to four times a day can.
Onion for Insect Bites and Stings
The sulfur in onions neutralizes the chemicals that cause the itch. Slice an onion in half and rub one of the cut sides on the bite. The itching should stop immediately.
Refrigerate the onion in a sealed container to use again if the itching resumes. Make a fresh slice before reapplying it (4).
Onion for Scars
Onions can be a very effective remedy for fighting certain scars, which can be from surgery or just typical (but bothersome) stretch marks.
Mix three grams of salt with ten grams of dish soap. Cut the onion in very small pieces, trying to make them equal in size. Add the salt and soap mixture and stir well.
Put the mixture in a water bath for about fifteen minutes, and then immediately put it in cold water for five minutes, and keep stirring.
Blend for five seconds and then strain. The liquid that remains is onion extract. Apply the onion extract on he scarred areas once a day (5).
Note: Pay attention to your skin’s reactions and if you notice it getting red or something similar, you should stop the treatment immediately. If necessary, see a dermatologist as soon as possible.